Frequently Asked Questions
Home » For consumers » Frequently Asked Questions

What area does the Grampians PIR cover?

The area covered by the Grampians PIR is the same as that covered by the Grampians Medicare Local. It includes all or part of the Local Government Areas of:

  • City of Ballarat
  • Golden Plains Shire
  • Hepburn Shire
  • Hindmarsh Shire
  • Moorabool Shire
  • Northern Grampians Shire
  • Pyrenees Shire
  • Rural City of Ararat
  • Rural City of Horsham
  • West Wimmera Shire
  • Yarriambiack Shire
  • See map

What can I expect from the PIR service?

GPIR assists you, a loved one or someone you care for through your journey by:

  • Explaining how to navigate the system
  • Helping you to identify services available to all people, and connecting you to the ones that are right for you
  • Supporting you to build on your own strengths and natural resources
  • Assisting you to get your most urgent needs met

Who is involved in Grampians PIR?

For a list of our partners and link to their websites click here

Who do you work with?

GPIR builds on the existing services and supports that are available in our region.

Private, government and non-government services and supports involved may include:

  • Public community and specialist mental health services; such as local Area Mental Health Service (AMHS) and community mental health support services
  • Private psychiatrists and psychologists;
  • GPs and other primary health care providers such as Occupational Therapists, optometrists, diabetes educators, dentists etc.
  • Hospitals, specialists and health care services
  • Alcohol and other drug treatment services
  • Disability services;
  • Income support services such as Centrelink
  • Supported accommodation services and other accommodation providers
  • State public housing
  • Personal Helpers and Mentors Program providers (PHaMS)
  • Support for Day to Day Living Program providers and providers of other relevant community based living skills program;
  • Parenting support services
  • Vocational rehabilitation services
  • Education and employment services
  • Child protection, domestic violence and justice services
  • Carers Support Services

Who can make a referral?

Anyone can make a referral to GPIR

How do I make a referral?

Referrals should be emailed, faxed or posted from the referrer to GPIR, go to Referrals for details.

If I am referred, what happens next?

  • We’ll call you within 7 working days of receiving your referral

All individuals referred to GPIR will be assessed for eligibility. If found to be eligible the individual will be assigned a GPIR Facilitator who will assist with coordinating access to services and supports identified through a needs assessment and GPIR Action Plan.

The needs assessment will identify the person’s individual concerns and areas of need as well as their strengths that will help in their recovery. The needs assessment assists in the identification of what services and supports are required.

From the needs assessment, a GPIR Action Plan will be developed with the person (and the carer, as appropriate) and the other relevant services/supports identified.

The GPIR Action Plan will outline what the person wishes to achieve, and the services and supports the GPIR Organisation will help in getting the person access to.